Going for gold this weekend?
Stratford to Barking; Go east for a mostly traffic-free circuit with an Olympic view
Published: 09 July 2015
Updated: 12:42, 09 July 2015
Start the day at View Tube Café by treating yourself to coffee and cake while taking in the stunning views of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and futuristicArcelor Mittal Orbit, the UK’s tallest sculpture. Then pick up a Santander Cycle from the docking station on Bromley High Street, and leave the 21st century behind. This meandering route takes you down the towpath beside the Three Mills Wall River. There have been mills on this site since the Domesday Book. Look out forHouse Mill, a Grade 1 listed building constructed in 1776 and still the world’s largest tidal mill, and don’t miss the Clasping Hands sculpture, a moving memorial to a fatal accident in 1901. After negotiating the famous floating towpath, head south west along Limehouse Cut, London’s first navigable canal opened in 1770, toLimehouse Basin, keeping an eye out for moorhens, coots and other waterfowl along the way.
From the calm canalside the route brings you into the buzz of Canary Wharf. Dock your cycle at Westferry DLR and head over to the Museum of London Docklands(free entry) for a fascinating insight into the history of the area. Pick up another bike (your next docking station is Bromley) to continue anticlockwise, passingBillingsgate Fish Market and the Excel Centre before returning via the Greenway to View Tube Café.
This route is provided by the British Cycling’s as part of its free guided ride programme. For other bike rides visit tfl.gov.uk/leisureroutes
Did you know?
This summer Santander Cycles are unlocking unique experiences around London including a once-in-a-lifetime bike ride around the Science Museum on a Santander Cycle. Visit Santander.co.uk/uk/cycles
copied from standard.co.uk
Santander Cycles is easy
Just go to any docking station with your bank card and touch the screen to begin. Or download the official Santander Cycles app to get quicker access.
Hire a bike, ride it where you like and return it to any docking station along the way. Costs start from £2 for 24-hour bike access, including unlimited 30 minute journeys
- How to Get Lost on the Rugged Olympic Coast
- Budapest enters race to host 2024 Olympics following IOC's reforms
- Lieutenant Tim Brant of the Derby Police Dept Talks About the Recent Pit Bull Shooting
- Mick Taylor Fondly Remembers Bobby Keys.......
- Calling O'Reilly Out on False Facts......
- Top Dog--Wolf Blitzer: A Certain Sway With The News
- Dear Larry Mendte: You Might Be Barking Up The Wrong Tree
- True Detective Recommended by Kevin Finnerty and Chris Merrill on KOGO 600 AM Radio San Diego......
- Larry Hancock Talks Conspiracy Peter Dale Scott's Deep Politics and The Kennnedy Assassination
- Rolling Stones guitarist Mick Taylor: A prime influence on the Pittsburgh Band Hawkeyes' sound.