Oct 6, 2014

Spotlight on Lynda Martin: Looking for Lynda as Part of Merrill's KOGO 600 Radio Morning Drive

From the ronnie republic radio round-up.......

Always enjoying Lynda Martin as part of Chris Merrill's KOGO 

600 AM radio morning drive......the gang seems to get along well 

and they all offer a different take on the daily morning news.....


copied from San Diego Magazine:


Spotlight on Women: Lynda Martin

Morning Anchor at San Diego 6, KOGO News Radio



Published: 
 
Lynda Martin

Lynda Martin

What is your background? I was born in London and grew up in the U.S. While I was a student at New House School of Communication at Syracuse University, I received a phone call from my mother informing me our money was gone (that’s another story) and I would have to drop out of school. I was not willing to quit, so I had to find a way. I got three jobs, made copies from books I borrowed, and was homeless. I chose to make it and not fail.
What did you do after college? I wanted to be a network star, so I set out to find a job with a TV station. I was in Worcester, Mass., at the time. No one would hire me after struggling to put myself through college. I was 22, and I walked into a station wearing a red power suit and my hair up in a bun and said I would work for free. They let me work, and eventually I got paid a bit and then got the midnight to 6 a.m. DJ position. Then I got to try out for a TV station working from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and at the same time working my midnight job. That lasted for about three weeks until I got hired at the station, and shortly thereafter the anchor job opened and I was able to move into that position.
Was that a good move for you? It was at the time, but then I lost the job and was replaced by a man. So I went to another station, where I was hired immediately and never missed a paycheck.
How did you get to San Diego? In 1999 I came here to start Fox, which at the time was Fox 6 XETV. I have been a TV news anchor/reporter for 13 years and have five Emmy nominations. Three years later I moved on to anchor KSWB five nights a week, until 2005 when that news department shut down. I am still a vacation relief anchor at Fox 6 in addition to my morning anchor job.
Where did you get your drive and determination? I had a fourth-grade teacher who convinced me that I was bright and could do anything I set out to do.
How have others benefited from your leadership? By sharing with others I come in contact with at radio/TV/speaking engagements. I find that my story is an inspiration to others and they learn from my struggles.
How do you give back? I have a brother with autism, so I am very committed to Special Olympics and also to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. I have run two marathons and am now a long-distance runner and just did the Low Tide Ride & Stride to benefit Wounded Warriors.
Whom do you most admire? I once interviewed a Holocaust survivor from La Mesa by the name of Eve Gerstle. She is now 98 years old, and I was so impressed with her that I still visit her about once a month. I won my fifth Emmy nomination for that story.
What are your goals for the future? Take my skills to inform and educate others. I have a strong commitment to raising my two sons.
What is your advice to others? Never forget where you come from. You don’t know what is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment